Monday, October 13, 2008

Sad News

The Type 1 Diabetic patient in 'Strange Interview' and 'Happy News' called me to tell that she had a spontaneous abortion.
Her recent blood sugars were between 80 and 220mg but her frequency of testing was only about once a day or once in 2 days.
Early foetal loss is most commonly due to congenital defects in foetus caused by high blood sugar during first few weeks.
For a diabetic woman who wants to be pregnant, keeping a very good control over her blood sugar is very important.The first 42 days after conception is the most important period, but in most cases the woman will be aware that she is pregnant only after a missed period, which is about 14 to 21 days after conception.
So planning the pregnancy in advance and keeping a tight control on blood sugar is absolutely essential.
The loss of that foetus was a personal failure for me too. I should raise the standard of my care of care of Diabetes in Pregnancies.
I had emphasised all these to her and I hope she will have a successful pregnancy next time.

No comments: