Monday, June 9, 2008

The Ultimate Self medication

Today the day after I wrote about the ills of self medication I had a patient who in my experience practised the ultimate self medication.
She is a Diabetic patient for the last 5 years and according to her the blood sugars were always high what ever tablets she used. Her husband was my patient for the last one year and for him I had started Insulin injections as his blood sugars were not controlled with tablets.With Insulin his Sugar values rapidly came to normal levels and his quality of life also improved.Seeing the improvement in her husband this lady on her own started taking her husband's Insulin one month ago.She was coming to me as a patient for the first time.And today she came to me with perfect blood sugar levels.
She said she feels much better now and asked whether she can continue on Insulin? What could I say?

No comments: